Cottesloe steal the show after the bell to become back to back Fortescue Premiership Division champions

· WA Premier
by Rugby WA Media

Cottesloe have sealed the Fortescue Premiership Division title by defeating Associates 21-22, in a gruelling 100-minute overtime affair of rugby.

Both sides couldn’t be separated at the final whistle with the teams locked at 15 points apiece at the end of 80 minutes.

It looked like Soaks winger Harry Webster had sealed the match with the boot nailing two penalties in both halves of overtime, only to be heartbroken by a Cottesloe try after the final whistle.

The last-minute score gave Cottesloe fly-half Caleb Young the opportunity to give his side the Premiership nailing the conversion from the right-hand corner to put the Gulls a point ahead when it was all said and done.


Young was a standout throughout the final, having a 100 percent kicking rate hitting five penalties and one conversion for the baby blues ultimately playing the decisive role in the outcome of the game.

21 year-old scrum-half Lachie Phillips was a standout in his first Premier Grade Grand-Final playing a major role in Associates' defence, emerging as one of the top halfbacks in the WA competition.

In what was perfect conditions for running rugby, Associates got off a flying start in the game scoring within the first 10 minutes through a clever cut-out pass from Luke Raduva putting away winger Ross Palframan in the corner to draw first blood.

Cottesloe was electric in their reply dominating the remainder of the first half in both territory and possession, almost putting a double on the men in gold however were denied the points through incorrect grounding from two of Cottesloe’s top players, Alistair Haining and Skipper Tobias Hoskins.

Young was able to force Cottesloe back in the contest scoring two penalties. His side was able to take advantage of some slight discipline issues from their opponents, despite Associates showing airtight defence from their own try line going into the sheds with a 7-6 lead.

Cottesloe were just as dynamic coming into the second half almost trouncing Soaks right out of the half.

The highlight of the game almost came through a cross kick from Caleb Young out to the win only to be denied by Associates replacement fullback Robbie Ingram who showed a clean pair of hands to grab the try-saving mark in what was his 100th Premier Grade game for his club.

Cottesloe opted to take the points coming back from the penalty advantage giving them a two-point lead.

With the breeze drifting in the way of Associates in didn’t take long for Webster to return the favour nailing a long penalty to put Soaks back in the driver’s seat.

The match seemed to me leaning Associates’ way when Luke Raduva scored an intercept try scoring in the corner to set the score at 15-09.

Another two penalties locked the score up as the 80 minutes dried up, both teams heading into overtime as the lights turned on for a twilight finish to the final.

The two overtime penalties gave the impression that Associates had the match in hand when the final try off the back of the scrum from Tobias Hoskins delivered Cottesloe their back to back premierships.

After such a challenging season for all of the RugbyWA Community, no one could of scripted a better finish to the year with a estimated crowd of 3000 supporters turning up to watch the final match.



Associates 21
Tries: Ross Palframan, Luke Raduva
Cons: Harrison Webster
Pens: Harrison Webster 3

Cottesloe 22
Tries: Tobias Hoskins
Cons: Caleb Young
Pens: Calen Young 5