RugbyWA narrowly fall to the Melbourne Rebels at Kingsway

· Super W
by Rugby WA Media

RugbyWA have conceded a narrow defeat to the Melbourne Rebels over the weekend, gifting the Victorian side their first ever win since the creation of the Super W competition.

In a clash that only can be described as a dingdong battle the Rebels were able to take the lead in the final eight minutes of the match, holding on to secure the victory.

Captain and fly-half Trilleen Pomare shone in the loss leading her relevantly young backline to produce some of the most devasting attacking play the competition has seen.

After the final whistle Pomare said she was disappointed with the loss but his optimistic about the future of such a young side.

"The Rebels gave it to us today and deserved the win," she said.

"We lost lots of scrums and they put us on the back foot. We have the backs to trouble the opposition but need to work on retaining the ball."

Blasting out of the gate was Wanneroo local Freida Ah-Sam who was able to score RugbyWA’s first try, breaking through in the first four minutes of the match.

Some fancy footwork from Trilleen Pomare saw the RugbyWA Women back up their first try displaying a fancy flick pass that set up outside centre Taj Heald, who was able to give the women in black and gold a 14-point lead.

Despite trailing early, the Rebels held firm and used their impressive scrum work to steal possession off RugbyWA.

Playing the slow game, the Victorian forwards were able to play to their strength using devasting runs through the middle eventually leading to their first try from number eight Sally Kehoe.

Due to some repeated ruck infringements RugbyWA were hit with another blow when Neesha Barrett was sent off with a yellow card.

Melbourne were quick to pounce on a 14 player West Australia side coming within two points through an easy try from outside centre Nicola Emsley.

A lucky bounce off the cross bar from Rebels kicker Georgia Cormick saw the Rebels even the score putting RugbyWA back to square one just before the break.

RugbyWA again showed an impressive ability to jump right out of the half through a try from Ariana Hira-Herangi however the Rebels quickly even the score again with a second five-pointer from Sally Kehoe.

It took sixty minutes for the Rebels to hit the first lead of the game with outside centre Nicola Emsley scoring her second of the afternoon bringing the score to 21-26. With the time ticking down Pomare refused to be denied getting her team back in line with the Rebels bringing the game to 26 all.

After some desperate defence from RugbyWA, the Rebels were able to strike again off the back of the scrum with winger Mikeala Welti getting another five points for herself.

Towards the final minutes of the match WA did everything they could to hold possession, however an unlucky knock-on on a last-ditch effort to steal the match saw referee Maddie Putz forced to blow the final whistle.

RugbyWA have immediately switched their attention towards their next match against the NSW Waratahs next week, well aware they need to lift another level to compete with the defending champions.

“I think we have strength out wide, a lot of depth in the backline,” Pomare said.

“We just need to win that first up ball and string phases together so we can start to build real pressure.”

“The young girls in our side have an amazing attitude, they can only learn from these matches and only get better so it’s all positive for us.”

RugbyWA will travel to Sydney next week to face the undeafted NSW Waratahs in what will most likely be their last game of the Super W season.



RugbyWA 26

Tries: F Ah-Sam, Heald, Hira-Herangi, Pomare

Cons: Pomare 3

Melbourne Rebels 31

Tries: Kehoe 2, Emsley 2, Welti

Cons: Cormick 3